MADISON, WI -- Wisconsin athletes won a total of 15 men's events – including two wins by Badgers who were competing unattached. On the women's side, UW claimed six event wins, including two by unattached athletes.
• Junior Reed Connor led a 1-2-3-4-5 finish for the Badgers in the 1500 meters, winning in 3:44.52. He held off sophomore Austin Mudd, who was second in 3:44.96. Alex Brill (3:46.44), Danny Buechel (3:47.90) and Matt McKenna (3:48.39) followed.
• Senior Brian Leung won the 5000 meters in 14:44.87.
• The quartet of Matt Widule, Matt Kerswill, Babatunde Awosika and Garret Payne won the 4x100 relay in 40.80.
• Payne won the 200 meters in a lifetime-best time of 21.21 seconds.
• Awosika claimed the 400 meters in a personal-best 47.39.
• Sophomore Matt Widule won the 110 hurdles in a season-best time of 14.41.
• Competing unattached, sophomore Aaron Thompson won the 400 hurdles in a lifetime-best 51.58. He is redshirting this season. Senior Grant Bughman was second in 51.90.
• Sophomore Jacob Erschen won the 3000 steeplechase in a personal-best 9:10.20.
• Junior Danny Block won the shot put with a throw of 60-9 1/4 (18.52m). His seasonal best of 62-3 3/4 (18.99) has him ranked No. 2 in the Big Ten headed into next week's conference championships. He is also ranked No. 2 in the league in the shot put (200-4).
• Junior Michael Lihrman, competing unattached, won the hammer throw with a mark of 218-5 (66.58m). Lihrman is redshirting this season, but his mark would have broken UW's school record by 27 feet if he were competing in a Badgers uniform.
• Two members of the UW football team, WR Kenzel Doe and FS Dezmen Southward, made their collegiate debuts in the 100 meters. Southward was fifth in 10.97 seconds, with Doe eighth in 11.12.
• Each of UW's three entries in the women's hammer throw topped the previous school record – with senior Taylor Smith's runner-up effort of 193-0 (58.82m) the new school standard. Junior Abby Lueck was third (188-5) and sophomore Angela Boushea fourth (187-8), with both topping the previous record. All three likely secured spots in the NCAA West Preliminary Round with their throws.
• Smith also won the discus with a throw of 169-8. She is ranked No. 4 in the Big Ten in the event with a seasonal best of 177-5. Smith also leads the Big Ten in the shot put at 56-11 1/2, but did not compete in that event Saturday.
• Redshirt freshman Brianna Bower won the javelin with a throw of 138-5 (42.18m). Her best effort on the season is 142-0.
• Redshirt freshman Taylor Kirby won the pole vault with a lifetime-best clearance of 12-7 1/2 (3.85m). That places her fourth on UW's all-time list in the event.
• Freshman Lauren Holtz, competing unattached, won the 800 meters in 2:15.14 ahead of redshirting junior Liga Blyholder, who also was unattached (2:15.57).
• Blyholder won the 1500 meters in 4:32.25.
Can't Find Something?
5545 Highway 93, Eau Claire, WI 54701
News Tips: (715)-831-1824 or email@example.com