8 people displaced in Janesville duplex fire - WQOW TV: Eau Claire, WI NEWS18 News, Weather, and Sports

8 people displaced in Janesville duplex fire


JANESVILLE (WKOW) – Eight people are displaced Monday morning after a late night duplex fire in Janesville.

Janesville Fire units responded to a two-story duplex fire on the 300 block of South Academy Street around 5:46 p.m. on Sunday.

Tenant Alyssa Joyner was at work when the fire broke out, but her son and two nieces were at home when the fire occurred.  People inside the house were alerted of the fire by the smoke detectors and were able to evacuate. No one was injured in the fire.

Upon arrival, fire personnel could see smoke and flames coming from a first floor kitchen window.  Authorities entered the apartment and were able to put out the fire that started in the kitchen.  The fire originated on the kitchen counter where a microwave and toaster were plugged into the wall.

The fire damage was contained to the kitchen causing about $10,000 of damage to the structure and about $15,000 of damage for the contents.

The Red Cross was requested to the scene and assisted Ms Joyner's family and relatives with housing.

Authorities say the adjoining apartment to the damaged duplex was not damaged.

Fire officials will return to the scene on Monday to determine the exact cause of the fire, but it is not considered suspicious or malicious at this time.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WQOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's pubic inspection file should contact News Director Dan Schillinger at 715-852-5920. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.