Man dies due to apparent carbon monoxide exposure - WQOW TV: Eau Claire, WI NEWS18 News, Weather, and Sports

Man dies due to apparent carbon monoxide exposure


Washburn County (WQOW) - Carbon monoxide is being blamed for the death of a man in Washburn County.

Rescue crews were called to a Shell Lake home around 3 a.m. Tuesday.  Joseph Parker was taken to the hospital but did not survive.  He was 32 years old.

His wife and two daughters were also hospitalized for carbon monoxide exposure.  The sheriff says they are doing as well as can be expected.  The deputy sheriff, several firefighters and ambulance crew members were also taken to the hospital for exposure.

The preliminary investigation shows Parker was using a gas-powered generator to provide electricity to the home.  The sheriff says the exhaust fumes from the generator were not properly vented, leading to carbon monoxide levels that were at least 800 times acceptable levels.

"This is a terrible tragedy for the Parker family; however, we can be thankful there was not further loss of life.  We are so very thankful for first responders who place themselves in danger every day.  Until a tragedy such as this, we tend to forget what we ask of them," said Washburn County Sheriff Terry Dryden.


Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WQOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's pubic inspection file should contact News Director Dan Schillinger at 715-852-5920. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at