UPDATE: Boy pulled from Lake Altoona has died - WQOW TV: Eau Claire, WI NEWS18 News, Weather, and Sports

UPDATE: Boy pulled from Lake Altoona has died

ctsy: Jacob's family ctsy: Jacob's family

Altoona (WQOW) - Jacob Lee Schultz, the 4-year-old who was pulled from Lake Altoona after being underwater for 5 minutes, has died. 

The following information was posted by Jacob's family on their Facebook page early Saturday morning:

Well it really hurts to say this, but this will be the final update on Jacob.  Jacob had a real bad morning and took a turn for the worse.  His lungs got worse and he wasn't delivering enough oxygen which in turn was damaging them and they were shutting down. They gave him an MRI and that showed us that most of his brain was dead and could not be repaired.  So due to that, his chances were very very small, and if he had survived, he would have no quality of life...pretty much stay where he was, in a coma.  We as parents had to make a decision that no parent should have to make for their child.  At 10:56, August 30, 2013, Jacob Lee Schultz went to a better place.  We can't even begin to show or say how we really feel about the thanks we have for each and everyone of you that prayed, viewed, liked, shared, helped, loved, supported and much more for Jacob and our family.


Altoona (WQOW)- Some encouraging news about a little boy who was pulled from Lake Altoona after being underwater for 5 minutes.

Jacob Lee Schultz is from Cornell. Mayo hospital officials in Rochester say his condition was upgraded to serious on Thursday. 

Jacob's aunt says the 4-year-old fell off a dock at the Lake Altoona beach Tuesday afternoon.
He was first taken by ambulance to an Eau Claire hospital, then airlifted to Minnesota.

Jacob's family says he has suffered brain damage but doctors have not yet determined the extent. 

The family has established a fund at RCU to help cover expenses. You can donate at any RCU branch to Account #4562300634. You can also donate through their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/prayersforsnake?v=app_117708921611213

You can leave messages for Jacob and his family on a Facebook page they've created called Prayers for Jacob Lee Schultz


Altoona (WQOW) - UPDATE: We are learning more about the little boy who was pulled from Lake Altoona Tuesday afternoon.

According to the boy's aunt, 4-year-old Jacob Lee Schultz was at Lake Altoona Beach when he fell off a dock into the water.  It's believed he was under water for about five minutes before being found.  The police chief says a park ranger was at the beach and started CPR.  EMT's continued CPR when they arrived.  Jacob's family says he was taken to an Eau Claire hospital and then flown to Mayo Clinic Health Systems in Rochester, Minnesota.

Jacob's family says he is on life support and has sustained brain damage.  We'll continue to update this story as we learn more about the boy's condition.


Press Release From Altoona Police: On August 27, 2013 at approximately 2:58 PM Altoona Police Department, Altoona Fire/Rescue, and Eau Claire Fire Department Paramedics were dispatched to a report of a drowning at the Lake Altoona Public Swimming Beach.

A 4 year old male, Jacob L Schultz of Cornell, was found unresponsive underwater. Bystanders removed him from the water and he was pulseless and not breathing.  CPR was initiated on Jacob by a Park Ranger working at the beach. 

Jacob was resuscitated by emergency personnel from Altoona and Eau Claire and transported by Eau Claire ambulance to Mayo Hospital in Eau Claire.

Jacob has been transferred to Mayo Hospital in Rochester, MN where he remains in Critical Condition.

Jacob's family has created a Facebook page, Prayers for Jacob Lee Schultz, which can be accessed at http://www.facebook.com/prayersforsnake






ALTOONA (WQOW) - A close call for a little boy at an area beach.

Rescuers were called to the Lake Altoona beach late Tuesday afternoon. The police chief tells us a 4-year old boy was found unconscious in the water.

A park ranger was at the beach and helped pull him from the water and started CPR. EMT's continued CPR when they arrived.

The chief says the boy was taken to the hospital for further treatment. No other information is being released right now.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WQOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's pubic inspection file should contact News Director Dan Schillinger at 715-852-5920. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.