13 people sickened by carbon monoxide in Arcadia - WQOW TV: Eau Claire, WI NEWS18 News, Weather, and Sports

NEW DETAILS: names of residents hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning released

Posted:

Trempealeau County (WQOW) - A desperate attempt to heat a home sent 13 people including a police officer and two EMT's to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning.

When the liquid propane gas ran out at a home officials say those inside the home in the town of Arcadia turned to a charcoal grill for heat.

The first officer to arrive says he entered the home and immediately smelt fumes.

"I observed that there was two adults and two children laying on the floor," said Arcadia Police Officer, Kris Haines. "It appeared that the two children were unconscious and the two adults were somewhat moving and moaning."

The gas was so thick that Haines quickly began to feel its effects.

"I tried to make entry into the room to grab the children to remove them and I was overcome and I had to evacuate the room," he said.

All together 13 people were sickened. That includes five kids , all under the age of 13 the police officer and two EMT's.

Those in the home and were hospitalized are:

Eucario Hernandez, 31, Maria Rojas, 27, Veronica Ortez-Cruz, 18, Hildeberto Hernandez, 19, Cipriano Cruz, 40, Cipriano Cruz II, 8, Rosio Cruz, 13, Devin Hernandez, 10 months, Abraham Hernandez, 31, Luz Estrella Hernandez, age unknown.  

After being rushed to the hospital everyone involved has been released from medical care, or will be in the near future.   

Though the situation in Trempealeau County is rare emergency responders in Eau Claire say they receive carbon monoxide calls often

"Generally it's just somebody's alarm going off or a faulty detector," said Deputy Chief Allyn Bertrang, "Occasionally we do get calls were people have carbon monoxide in their homes and they start to feel symptoms."

Bertrang has seen people resort to alternative ways to heat their homes in the past.

"Over the there years there have been times people have used grills and those types of things," he said.

A grill should never be used to heat a home because carbon monoxide that is produced can not properly vent.

However, furnaces can also cause problems when they aren't properly maintained.

"The vents for furnaces often run on the side of people's homes. Sometime where we have a lot of snow like we do right now the snow can build up around those vents," said Bertrang. "So we ask people that those vents are clear of snow."

The state is reminding those who need help heating their homes to turn to the Wisconsin heating assistance program.  So far this year, about 165,000 households have received about $300 each.

 

*************************************

Trempealeau County (WQOW) - New information has been released about more than a dozen people who were sickened by carbon monoxide in the Town of Arcadia.

The victims included 10 people inside a home, and three emergency workers who came to their aid.

Officials say a charcoal grill was being used to heat the home because they had run out of LP gas.

The first officer to arrive at the home Sunday immediately smelled a strong chemical odor. He said he went upstairs and found two semiconscious and incoherent adults and two children lying on the floor. The children were unconscious. All together, 10 people inside the home were sickened.

That includes five kids ranging in age from 10 months to 13 years old. The Trempealeau County sheriff said the officer and two EMT's were also overcome by the gas.

Three helicopters and five ambulances rushed to transport the victims. The sheriff's department says most of the victims were treated and released. One person is still believed to be hospitalized, but expected to be released soon.

**************************************

Trempealeau County (WQOW)- An invisible threat caused seven adults and five children to be rushed to the hospital on Sunday. Also taken in for care, an officer who came to their rescue.

The Trempealeau County Sheriff's Department says it received a call about an unknown medical issue at N26765 Rainey Valley Rd. in the town of Arcadia late Sunday afternoon. A police officer and fire department member arrived to find 12 people, seven adults and five children, inside the home. All were sick from carbon monoxide poisoning and some were unconscious. The Sheriff's Department says an officer was also overcome by the gas.

Three helicopters and five ambulances rushed to save the victims. The Sheriff's Department says the officer was treated an released at a local hospital. The conditions of the 12 other people are not known.

The Sheriff's Department says it appears a charcoal grill was being used to heat the home.

No names are being released at this time. The incident remains under investigation.

 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WQOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's pubic inspection file should contact Director of Station Operations Lisa Patrow at 715-852-5920. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.