Eau Claire (WQOW) - It's time to spring forward this weekend. Daylight saving time is here and as you set your clocks forward by an hour, firefighters hope you'll take time to think about safety.
A sign above the doors of fire station number 2 in Eau Claire serves as a good reminder.
"We start to feel the symptoms of carbon monoxide at about 200 parts per million," said Allyn Bertrang, Eau Claire Fire Dept. Battalion Chief.
With Daylight Saving Time comes a good time for you check your home's smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
"Carbon monoxide mimics flu symptoms quite well because it does cause headaches, nausea, vomiting," Bertrang added.
Last month, 13 people were sickened in Trempealeau County by high levels of carbon monoxide that had built up inside a home.
"Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas. So it is very hard to detect without some type of a detector or monitor," explained Bertrang.
Most hardware and home improvement stores sell detectors.
"There's many different manufacturers for carbon monoxide detectors. This one shows that if you have four quick beeps, five seconds apart, that's indicating that there's a carbon monoxide detection," said Bertrang.
And newer detectors can be wired into your home or business to add better protection.
"We recommend really if people are able to, they hard wire them and interconnect them. That way the alarm would sound throughout the entire house if one of them detects a problem," Bertrang said.
It's important to read the instructions on your individual alarm. That's because different manufacturers use different numbers of beeps to indicate a real threat as opposed to dying batteries.
For more information, click here.