Secretary of Defense says its too soon to draw conclusions from - WQOW TV: Eau Claire, WI NEWS18 News, Weather, and Sports

Secretary of Defense says its too soon to draw conclusions from Fort Hood shooting

Posted: Updated:
HONOLULU (AP) -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel says it's too soon to draw any broad conclusions about safety at U.S. military bases after the deadly shootings at Fort Hood, Texas.

He said Thursday that as the investigation unfolds, the Pentagon will continue to take a close look at any new lessons that can be learned from Wednesday's tragedy and implement any needed changes to base security.

He said the Defense Department has implemented changes after other shootings, including the 2009 massacre at Fort Hood and last year's shooting at the Washington Navy Yard. He said the safety of the troops was a priority for defense leaders and commanders.

He said that while one incident was too many, the U.S. has a lot of bases around the world and they are safe places.
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WQOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's pubic inspection file should contact News Director Dan Schillinger at 715-852-5920. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.