Business explosion in Bloomer sends man to the hospital - WQOW TV: Eau Claire, WI NEWS18 News, Weather, and Sports

Business explosion in Bloomer sends man to the hospital

Posted:
Bloomer (WQOW) - It's been the talk of the town in Bloomer. An explosion at a business sends one man to the hospital.

It happened over the weekend at The Pines Ballroom and Bar and Monday we’re finally getting some answers. WQOW News 18 has been digging into this and information has been hard to track down because area law enforcement and EMS didn't respond to the accident. 

News 18 has been in touch with the Chippewa County Sheriff's Office, Bloomer Fire and Police Departments and none of them were called there over the weekend. WQOW News 18 did go to The Pines Monday and spoke with family members of Brian Schwab, who is the owner. 

They say the explosion happened Saturday evening. They say Scott Durch, a man who does maintenance on the building, went to light the water heater in the basement after it had gone out, when the explosion happened.

The family says Scott drove himself to one of their homes, and from there was taken to St.Joseph's hospital in Chippewa Falls where he was then airlifted to the Regions Hospital burn unit in the Twin Cities. WQOW News 18 did confirm with Regions Monday that Scott Durch is at the hospital, and is in fair condition. 

Residents from all over Bloomer could be seen near The Pines Monday, wondering if the rumors spreading around town were true.  "Well I used to come down here and go dancing all the time and I had to come here and see what's left. See if anything serious had happened. I hope that it keeps going," says Kathryn Legesse from Bloomer.

In the time WQOW News 18 spent there, at least ten cars drove by to see what was going on. While you couldn't see much from the outside, the family says that inside it looks like a bomb went off. They weren't comfortable with letting anyone inside, but say the bar area is completely destroyed as well as the bathrooms.

WQOW News 18 did ask the family why authorities weren't called; they say  it wasn't necessary because there was no fire. They did say the gas was turned off right away.

There are wedding receptions and other events planned at The Pines for later this summer. The business remains closed for now. The family says at this point, it doesn't know when it will be back up and running.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WQOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's pubic inspection file should contact News Director Dan Schillinger at 715-852-5920. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.