E-cigarette explodes in man's pants at NYC's Grand Central - WQOW TV: Eau Claire, WI NEWS18 News, Weather, and Sports

E-cigarette explodes in man's pants at NYC's Grand Central

Posted:

NEW YORK (AP) - Officials said a man shopping in New York's Grand Central Terminal suffered leg and hand burns when an e-cigarette exploded in his pants pocket.

Central Cellars employee John Lee said it looked like fireworks exploding when the vaporizer pen suddenly blew up in the man's pants Wednesday morning.

Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokesman Aaron Donovan said the man was taken by a private ambulance service to a hospital. He said the injuries appeared minor. Donovan said train service at the transit hub wasn't affected. 

Electronic cigarettes and other battery-operated electronic smoking devices occasionally do catch fire. In 2015, the federal Department of Transportation issued a rule prohibiting passengers from packing e-cigarettes in checked luggage to protect against in-flight fires.

Powered by Frankly