Eau Claire (WQOW) - Thanksgiving Day treats are often shared with pets. But before you pass along the food to Fido, here's a reminder about what shouldn't go into their dog bowl.
Oakwood Hills Animal Hospital posted an image to their social media page yesterday. The graphic, put together by Veterinary Pet Insurance, lists 5 foods traditionally found at the Thanksgiving table that are dangerous to dogs.
1. Fat from meats, like turkey skin and pan drippings. It can lead to pancreatitis.
2. Bones, like turkey bones or carcass. They can lead to choking of intestinal obstruction.
3. Nutmeg, traditionally found in pumpkin pie and spiced desserts. It can cause toxicity resulting in death.
4. Alcohol, like wine or any dessert with alcohol in it. It can cause seizures and respiratory failure.
5. Pecans, found in pecan pie and other desserts. It can lead to upset stomach or seizures.
Veterinary Pet Insurance says if you think your dog has ingested something harmful to seek immediate veterinary advice.