Eau Claire (WQOW) - 'Tis the season for celebrating the holidays with a Christmas tree, but according fire and safety crews, the symbolic decoration can pose a fire hazard.
On Tuesday morning, they started a real Christmas tree on fire inside a newly built, one-bedroom apartment at CVTC's Fire Safety Center. Staff said the center is only one of five facilities in the world that allows companies to do testing on products related to fire conditions.
Kim Nessel, a technician at CVTC's Fire Safety Center, said it only takes 30 seconds for a Christmas tree to be engulfed in flames. "A Christmas tree has the equivalency of about 10 to 15 gallons of gasoline. It has a tremendous amount of heat built up, stored into it, and it's perfectly spaced. There's a lot of oxygen around it and in the needles so when it burns, with these resins, the pine sap in it, it's just like gasoline."
Staff at CVTC said the Fire Safety Center has served as a testing site for companies for the last three years.