Augusta (WQOW) - Smoke was seen from miles away when an Augusta barn went up in flames on Wednesday.
Fire crews responded to a structure fire on Kelly Road in Augusta at roughly 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday. The high amounts of smoke and heat led to responses from crews in Fairchild, Osseo, Augusta, and Fall Creek.
Fire officials believe that spontaneous combustion cause the fire inside the barn. Nobody was hurt, but officials say the hay storage facility is no longer structurally safe.
"It's not uncommon. If hay gets put up too green, it creates heat," says Augusta Fire Chief Ken Zich. "Eventually, if it gets some oxygen it will burst into flames."
Fire officials say even though they were able to get the blaze under control, it was expected to take several hours before the flames eventually died down.
Posted Oct. 4, 2017
Augusta (WQOW) - Emergency crews are putting out a barn fire in Augusta at this hour.
On Wednesday late afternoon, fire crews responded to a barn fire, located on Kelly Road. News 18 has a reporter on scene, who said several fire trucks are on site, including from the Fairchild Fire Department, Osseo Fire Department, Augusta Fire Department and Fall Creek Fire Department.
News 18's reporter said traffic has been blocked off in the area of Kelly Road and Wildlife Road.
This is a developing story. Stay with News 18 on-air and online for the latest details.