UPDATE: Felony charges recommended against suspects in Chippewa - WQOW TV: Eau Claire, WI NEWS18 News, Weather, and Sports

UPDATE: Felony charges recommended against suspects in Chippewa Falls threat

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE: Chippewa Falls police are referring felony charges against the two students suspect of making violent threats at Chippewa Falls High School on  Monday.

Police Chief Matthew Kelm told News 18 that the department is referring bomb scare and terroristic threats charges against the two 16 year old students suspected of leaving behind four notes referencing violent acts. Both charges are Class I Felonies, which carry a maximum sentence of three and a half years in prison and a $10,000 fine. 

The charges are being referred to the Chippewa County Juvenile Intake for review. 
 



UPDATE: The hold at Chippewa Falls Senior High School has been lifted. Students will be passing to, and attending, their 4th period as of 3:05 p.m. after threats were found in three separate bathrooms.

Law enforcement and administration are confident that the threat against the school is resolved and they can safely continue on with the day.

Hillcrest Elementary will be releasing at its normal time. Those students were not allowed outside for recess, however there was no direct threat to that school.

All after school activities will continue as scheduled.

Monday morning, threats were found in two separate bathrooms as well as two handwritten notes, and were brought to authorities attention around 8:35 a.m. The threats were specific and mentioned acts of violence including bombs and shootings that would occur if  students and staff evacuated the school. As a result, they went into a hold.

"Administration contacted the Chippewa Falls Police Department in the mean time we found 3 additional notes in both the boys and girls bathrooms and immediately went into a hold status which basically means no kids can leave classrooms or staff can leave classrooms," Chippewa Falls Area School District Executive Director of Human Resources and Public Relations, Michelle Golden said.

Two students, one male and one female, both 16 years old, have been identified and jointly questioned by law enforcement and administration for their alleged responsibility for the threats. 

Police believe the threat is a copycat to last week's threat at Memorial High School.

Chippewa Falls Police Chief Matthew Kelm said these recent school threats are not taken lightly.

"It's never something to just joke about and the penalties are also very severe," Kelm said. "You're talking about threats to a school, you're talking about possible terrorist threats,and charges along those lines for the people who are caught. It doesn't get much more serious when you are threatening students and when you're threatening children."

In the state of Wisconsin, under the felony charges in Wisconsin, suspects could face up to three and a half years in prison and a $10,000 fine. If someone is killed because of a panic, it goes from a Class I Felony to a Class G Felony, putting a person in prison for up to 10 years and facing up to $25,000 in fines.  

A thorough search of the parking lot and school found no weapons or bombs. 

Classes will resume back to normal on Tuesday. 



UPDATE: According to the school district, one student has admitted to partial responsibility of the incident, however, the full threat has not been resolved. The district will provide another update before 2 p.m.



UPDATE: Chippewa Falls Senior High School remains on hold after a threat against the school.

Chippewa Falls police and the Chippewa County Sheriff's Department are continuing the investigation.

According to the school, the note contains threats of harm to the students if the school is evacuated. That is why students are on hold, and the district is asking parents not to come to the school.

School officials are providing escorted bathroom breaks and lunch service



Chippewa Falls (Press Release) - Chippewa Falls Senior High School is on hold. Students and staff are asked to stay in their classroom and avoid passing in the hallways. 

The administration and the police are working together to investigate a note that was found in a bathroom. Based on the information the school has received, they are being advised not to evacuate at this time.

They are also asking parents not to come to school to pick up children. Administrators and police are asking all students to stay in their classrooms.

This is a developing story, stay with News 18 for the latest information.

 

Powered by Frankly