Florida prosecutors seeking death penalty for school shooting suspect
Miami (AP) - Florida prosecutors said they will seek the death penalty against school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz in the fatal shooting of 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School last month.
The office of Broward County State Attorney Michael Satz filed the formal notice Tuesday. Cruz, 19, is scheduled for formal arraignment Wednesday on a 34-count indictment, including 17 first-degree murder charges.
Cruz's attorneys have said he would plead guilty if the death penalty was not pursued in the Valentine's Day massacre. The action by prosecutors Tuesday does not necessarily mean a plea deal will not be reached.
The only other penalty option for Cruz is life in prison with no possibility of parole.
Can't Find Something?
5545 Highway 93, Eau Claire, WI 54701
News Tips: (715)-831-1824 or firstname.lastname@example.org